In 1908, George McClellan Brooks added the four-room Gothic Revival Victorian section facing Rt. 33. George built this addition when his sister died leaving 11 children without proper housing – and George and Mamie became parents to the seven youngest children. Mamie was the school teacher at the one room "colored school" on the West side of town and George hauled things and delivered milk and eggs plus watermelons in the summer.
George Brooks prospered in the early part of the 20th century when he bought a truck for hauling farm produce to the packing plants and ice to the seafood industry. The house was reportedly the largest African-American owned residence in the area, and today represents one of the few restored African-American homes dating back over 100 years. George was outspoken and firmly convinced that the "colored man" could succeed in the segregated town of St. Michaels and Talbot County.
(George and Mamie Brooks pictured to the left)